We've said it before, and we'll say it again. The whole point of electing an Obama adminstration is so that liberals can get to do some really stupid things, and live out the deluded fantasies they have cooked up in the liberal bell-jar.
And then we can upchuck the whole thing: Obama, Pelosi, big spending, the works.
Victor Davis Hanson reads the through the ingredients. He reviews six different issues:
- Rule of Law. Strong-arm bailouts and bankrupties are not good. They mean that political power is substituting for the rule of law.
- Energy. The Obama policy is to say No to the common sense of going for natural gas and oil and nuclear while alternative energy technologies ramp up.
- Debt. You can't make the numbers add up without actual confiscation, so the whole thing will "blow up in the administration's face."
- National Security. "Very schizophrenic. W[e] keep FISA, Patriot Act, rendition, military tribunals (Gitmo for now?), Predator attacks, Iraq and Afghanistan, while we trash their Bush origins," etc.
- Civil Discord. Obama is sowing disunity.
- Race Relations. More discord. The president invokes race wherever he goes.
You can see what is going on here. Obama is sowing the whirlwind. And yet all he is doing is executing on the standard liberal playbook.
Where will it end? It will end, in my view, sooner than we think. The Democrats exploited a tactical advantage in 2005-2008 as they played on the American people's natural discomfort with an unpopular war, and executed on a cynical cold-cock politics to stop any reform of their clunking welfare state.
But now they own the store. And Americans are already organizing in opposition to Obama's knee-jerk liberal policies.
The American people deserve better than this.